- Make a face mobile and hang it above their cot, facing them.
- Stroke different parts of their body to see how they like to be touched.
- Speak to them gently and use their name.
- Play music.
- Sing to your baby.
- Cuddle your baby a lot.
- Let them look at your face as you talk to your baby.
- Copy their little gestures.
- Gently rock them.
Babies need to feed throughout the night in the first few months. Most babies wake every 2 to 3 hours for a feed, and sleep a total of 12 to 20 hours each day – this is normal. Some babies will resettle when you just touch and soothe them – others may need a feed. Do not leave your baby on their tummy when they sleep.